Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

"The Best Things In Life"

Over the past few days, I've been reading "The Best Things In Life" by Peter Kreeft and, so far, I must say it's pretty fantastic. Having read Plato's dialogues, I've found it interesting to compare Kreeft's Socrates with the original. Kreeft's is a much easier and more humorous read, yet retains Socrates' philosophizing-through-questioning, through which he presents many interesting arguments on topics such as careers, marriage, music, and pleasure.
The following is a short excerpt from the chapter "On Rock...and Music."

"Socrates: Hello, Felicia. I told you we'd meet again. What is that strange device you're wearing today? Is it some sort of medical therapy for your ears?
  Felicia: Hi, socrates. Boy, you are out of it! This is my Walkman.
  S: It does not seem to be walking. Nor does it seem to be a man.
  F: I'm listening.
  S: To what?
  F: My rock.
  S: Oh, dear. Perhaps it is more than medical therapy that you need. You think your rock talks to you?
  F: Rock is music, Socrates.
  S: You think your rock songs to you? Am I wrong to take its stony silence for granite?"

No comments:

Post a Comment