Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Reflections at Mugshots

I'm sitting in a coffee shop. Mugshots. It's new. The few paintings add interruptions of color to the otherwise white walls. Homework is done, so I have a short time of freedom--the calm before the storm. It's given me some time to reflect on my time here at Rivendell. I don't have my journal with me--just readings this time--so I decided I should update life.

I've been here for almost three months now and it's felt like home since week three. My classmates and other students are wonderful, in all their diversity. Our professor and mentor are both incredible. Honestly, all the faculty are geniuses. The readings and discussions are what I've been looking for my whole life. Our dorm, though it be small, is cozy. The "senior" class, R7, is leaving in less than two weeks and I'm already missing them. (You'll visit, right?)

But the sun is finally shining, the snow is gone, and my heart is happy. I feel like doing cartwheels in the courtyard, singing the whole while. (But I probably won't, because people would see me.)

I have seen and felt myself grow so much in these whiplash weeks, both spiritually and mentally. I wrote coming to Rivendell is like having a giant mirror shoved into your face, blaring all your faults and shortcomings, but at the same time encouraging you to overcome. In the words of Aslan, "Courage, dear heart." Don't give up on improving. Strive to be like me. Learn passionately. Love unconditionally. Live fully, and laugh freely. Serve selflessly your God and fellow man. As many R7 students have told me, "Give it your all. Strive for excellence, even when it's hard."  Have Courage, and Be Kind.

I may update again, I may not. We'll see how life goes. Homework is ramping up, and so are all the extracurricular events.

But that's where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment