Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Matthew 10:19-20


"When they deliver you over, do not be anxious about how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you."--Matthew 10:19-20

For as long as I can remember being old enough to understand it, the idea of persecution has terrified me. I mean, what if my toenails were being ripped out or I was thrown into boiling oil? Would I be able to stay faithful? The song "Beautiful Ending" by BarlowGirl really puts into words what I've worried about:

"Oh, tragedy has taken so many
Love lost 'cause they all
Forgot who you were
And it scares me to think
That I would choose
My life over you
Oh my selfish heart
Divides me from you
It tears us apart

So tell me
What is our ending?
Will it be beautiful?
So beautiful."

Would my ending be beautiful, like the martyrs in Eusebius? Or would the pain be too much? Would they ask me a question that I couldn't answer? I never want to deny my Lord or recant my faith. Now, though, thanks to this verse, I don't need to worry about it! Whatever happens to me, it will be according to God's will, and I'm ok with that. So tell me: what is your ending? Will it be beautiful?



(The full song can be found here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment